You're On! 2021 Artist Spotlight
As part of our celebration of 15 years of transforming inspiration into action, OCALICON seeks to highlight and showcase the work and talents of artists with disabilities. The 2021 Artist Spotlight features video performances from artists, musicians, and performers who are on the autism spectrum or have a sensory or low-incidence disability. Interested participants will submit a high-quality 3-5-minute video recording for consideration by the conference planning committee. If selected, artist(s) will be featured in a virtual performance or gallery during OCALICONLINE 2021, the premier autism and disabilities conference, November 16-19, 2021.
The 2021 Artist Spotlight is open to artists of any age who are on the autism spectrum or who have a sensory or low-incidence disability. All arts/performance types are eligible, including but not limited to: musicians, soloists, bands, filmmakers, poets, writers, painters, dancers, visual artists, cartoonists, and/or culinary artists.
Submissions are accepted in the form of a self- or locally-produced, high-quality digital video recording (.mp4 or .mov files accepted – you can use your smartphone to record!). Upload your 3–5-minute recording (see below Instructions and Tips) by Friday, July 30, 2021. Selected artists will be notified in August 2021. If selected, your video will stream during OCALICONLINE 2021. All participants (including each member of a band or performance group) must also complete and submit the OCALI Multimedia Release Form.
Please note: Artists under age 18 require a signature from a parent or legal guardian.
OCALI Multimedia Release Form: OCALI works to make all of its forms accessible and offers multiple ways for you to submit forms. You are welcome to complete the form by hand, sign, scan, and upload. Or complete using a digital e-signature, save, and upload. In order to complete the digital form, you will need to use Adobe Reader, Adobe Acrobat Pro, Apple Preview, or similar software. If you have any trouble completing the OCALI Multimedia Release Form or need a different format, please let us know.
Instructions and Tips
- Your smartphone camera is probably the best and easiest way to record your performance. Typically the back camera is the higher quality camera with more megapixels. Use that one! Resolution: Minimum 1080p at 30 fps. A higher resolution is okay, too.
- Pro Tip: If you have two cameras available, consider recording using both cameras at different angles (e.g. one recording straight on with the image centered in the screen, and another recording from the right or left to create a side view). Then combine the footage from both recording devices and edit it into a more sophisticated production!
- Orientation: Please be sure to use LANDSCAPE mode (rotate your phone so you’re recording horizontally rather than vertically). A simple way to remember orientation is to think of your television screen or a movie theater screen – both show videos in landscape mode!
- Use a tripod or prop your camera/recording device so it is in a level, stationary position rather than have someone hold the camera while recording.
- Make sure you’re in a space with good lighting so you can be easily seen. For example, if recording inside a room, face a window rather than record with your back to the window. If your lighting is behind you, the recording will show your silhouette instead of a clear, pleasing image.
- Clean your lens before recording.
- Remember the camera is your audience – so direct your energy and performance at the camera! If available, please use an external microphone to capture the best quality audio/sound.
- Pro Tip: Use video editing software (such as iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, etc.) to finalize your video, add graphics, equalize the audio, etc.
- Upload (1) your final 3-5 minute recording (.mp4 or .mov format) and (2) completed OCALI Multimedia Release Form for each artist or member of a group/band.
- We recommend including your first initial last name or band name as part of your file names (e.g. sbuehrer_MyAwesomeVideo.mp4 | sbuehrer_Multimedia_Release_Form.pdf).
- The submission deadline is Friday, July 30, 2021.
- If selected, OCALI will stream your recording during OCALICONLINE 2021, November 16-19, 2021.
- Questions? Email us!